BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, December 9, 2010

You Can

I am tired of people telling me that Ella's behavior is normal. If you think you know more about my kid that I do, then by all means....have at it.  You can watch the tantrums ands stand by helplessly. You can watch her wake up from a nap unable to soothe her self, and unable to let you soothe her.  You can can watch her run around with endless amounts of energy.  You can watch her with other kids and wonder if she will be able to have friends when she grows up.  You can watch her bite herself when she is mad because she doesn't know any other way to cope.  You can watch her hit her head and not react at all when you know it should have hurt.  You can watch her not eat.  You can because sometimes, I can't.

The more and more I read about this, the more I know the diagnosis we got is correct.  Sensory Processing Disorder is a neurological problem.  How do I help her?  I don't want to fix her, she is not a car, there is nothing wrong with her.  I need to help her and I wish I knew how to do this.

My next concern is that these OT's we are going to will not be covered by the insurance because we have Triwest.  They don't cover any kind of sensory problem.  This in itself is ridiculous.  I am tired and worn and and my eyes hurt from holding back tears sometime.  I don't talk about it because it seems taboo...and no one wants to hear it, or they think Jim and I are blowing it out of proportion.  Next time you think about saying something to someone with a "different" child.  You Can shut your mouth, and keep it to yourself.  But I can no longer shut mine.

1 comments:

Andrea said...

The fact that you finally have an answer and a way to understand Ella is a start. I can only imagine how frustrating it is, especially just being at the beginning of learning how to deal with all of this.

But it is what it is, and you finally have a direction you can go. Your understanding her, or even just trying is going to help her more in life than any therapy or doctor. You're her mother. The one person in the world who is supposed to stand by her no matter what she has to face, so that she doesn't face it alone. And you're doing a damn good job. It's not going to be easy, but you have friends to lean on, and I promise to answer my phone more...:-)